Friday, June 6, 2008

Blue Mosque-Istanbul

The mosque was built by the architect Sedefkar Mehmed Ağa for Sultan Ahmed I. The construction of the magnificent complex lasted for quite a time, with the mosque being completed in 1617 and the rest of the construction in 1619. One of the largest of İstanbul's structures, the complex includes a mosque, medresses, the sultan's chamber, shops of tradesmen, a hamam, a public fountain with a spout, a mausoleum, a hospital, a soup kitchen and a primary school.

The mosque is located in the centre of the complex and referred to by foreigners as "The Blue Mosque" on account of the roughly 20,000 blue glazed tiles which cover its exterior. The main dome of the mosque is 34 meters in diameter, rises to a height of 43 meters above ground level and rests upon four massive pillars five metres in diameter. Four half domes also support the main dome. The mosque is five stories high from ground level to the top of the dome and is illuminated by 260 stained-glass windows.

The marble 'mimber', or pulpit, features mother-of-pearl relief; striking chandeliers hang from the dome.
In the north west cormer of the complex is a mousoleum. A medresse is located near the tomb and functions as an archive today. A primary school is attached to the wall of the inner courtyard of the mosque. There is a fountain and shops on the ground floor of the school and classrooms on the top floor. The last structure on the kiblah side is an 'arasta' - a row of shops of the same trade.


My Dream House

My dream house is simple, abstemious, tidy, interesting and look nice. I don't want a big house but deserted. I want my house have a special room for pray and another special room to be a small library. My sitting room must broad and have a flowers. I want too my house have a big kitchen because i like cooking.


1 comment:

anish said...

Boss,can u make 4me cheese or chocolate cake?hahahehehihihohohuhue..=)